Its been nice knowing you all

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Jan 19 21:37:42 EST 2004

WEAF/WNBC/WRCA/WFAN was directional until the move to High Island. I'm not
sure when that move took place but the date is available if you look for it.
The transmitter was in Port Washignton LI, not far from Huntington on Long
Island sound. It was a two-tower array that might have begun life as the
pair of towers that supported a horizontal long-wire. The pattern was DA-1
and was quite loose. I heard it described as sending the equivalent of 25 kW
to the east over Long Island and Connecticut and 75 kW to the west over New
York City. Of course, such a pattern gave 660 better skywave coverage of the
eastern US than that of New York's two other class IA stations (770 and
880). WOR, which was a IB always claimed to serve more population at night
than any other US station, WOR's loose figure-eight DA-1 pattern came from a
three-element array in Carteret NJ across the Kill Van Kull from Staten
Island. The main lobes went across New York City toward Hartford and across
New Jersey toward Philadelphia. WOR claimed to reach 36 million people in 18
states at night.

I don't remember when WTAM/KYW/WKYC/WWWE gave up its DA. I've heard that it
was a unquie Carl Smith design--a DA with only one tower. One tower yes, but
two elements. The story is that the second "element" was a vertical wire
dropped from one of the guy wires. The DA-1 pattern was very loose but was
designed to reduce the energy wasted over lake Erie. I've heard stories that
KOB Albuquerque (now KKOB) once had a night array of similar construction,
but I don't know if that's really true. According to an old National Radio
Club night pattern book, the efficiency of the 1100 antenna was
extraordinarily high. Indeed, 1100's signal in these parts is not as good as
it was before the change to ND. Smith had a lot of tricks up his sleeve and
he was apparently fascinated by arrays that used elements of unequal height
as this one would have had to do. KKOB's current night array uses two towers
of unequal height, but I believe that they are conventional, base-insulated,
guy-supported towers.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367