Its been nice knowing you all

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Jan 19 12:56:06 EST 2004

Pre NARBA, WBZ was on 990, WEEI was on 590, WLAW was on 680, WHDH was on 830
(I believe), and WLLH was on 1370. That was just prior to March 1941. NARBA
did not move most of the stations below 730. Dropping in the Mexican Class
IA channel on 730 resulted in most stations between 730 and 780 moving up
one notch. The next Mexican IA at 800 caused most stations between 790 and
890 to move up two notches. The third Mexican IA at 900 caused most stations
from 900 to <something> to move up three notches. There were four more
Mexican IAs added--at 940, 1050, 1220, and 1570. Some channels, including
990, moved up four notches, but somewhere one channel must have been
subtracted, because a whole bunch of regional channels in the 1200s, 1300s
and 1400s moved up only 30 kcps (no kHz then). The New York area had
regionals at 1250, 1300, 1350, 1400, and 1450. Most of the New York area
stations on these frequencies were share-timers. Today, the equivalent
stations are on 1280 (WADO), 1330 (WWRV), 1380 (WKDM), 1430 (WNSW), and 1480
(can't remember the current calls). The local channel at 1500 moved down one
notch to 1490.
WMEX moved from 1470 to 1510 and WJSV Washington moved from 1460 to 1500 and
became WTOP. Those moves were four notches. Before NARBA, the "broadcast"
band (there was no regularly licensed FM service, so there was no need to
identify the standard broadcast band as the AM band) ran from 550 to 1500,
with "experimental high-fidelity" stations on 1530, 1550, and 1570. NARBA
did away with the hi-fi channels but extended the band to 1600. NARBA did
not extend the band downward to 540. That happened later. Canada (and maybe
Mexico) went down to 530 still later, but the US never went below 540,
except for TISs.