Its been nice knowing you all

Bill O'Neill billo@shoreham.net
Mon Jan 19 09:18:49 EST 2004

Roger:
> WADR and wishing this didn't sound like an old-timer whining about
> the "Good Old Days" - BUT, these kinda things were extremely unlikey
> with tubes.  Drift, maybe - but tubes kept things warm.
>
> ?Reboot? I don't think so.

In the vein of oldtimer-sounding, I've rediscovered my 1951 Zenith table radio
(not valuable, tons still out there) with the metal pointer in the round center
dial, AM/FM. AM works much better.  I can't get this clean, round sound in any
other radios.  The Bose is tough to beat, however.  Just clicking on the
power/volume knob, waiting about 30 seconds for the unit to start to deliver
audio, it seems emblematic of yet another example of how far we've come in our
"instant on" culture.

Bill O'Neill