WBZ Florida

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sat Jan 17 17:32:06 EST 2004

>I know Scott wasn't trying to say exactly this but his earlier post
>pretty much said (paraphrasing here), "There's a dozen other people
>writing the news, Gary's just reading it." Sure, but that pretty much
>just reduces him to the level of one of those dreaded Sinclair weather
>guys in Hunt Valley, right? Doesn't matter whether he's lived in Reading
>for a bazillion years or not.

Not hardly. I don't know whether this is still the case, but when I was
writing for mornings, Gary wrote his own "A" block (top/bottom of the hour
to traffic at :03/:33) and I wrote his "B" block (:05-:08/:35-:38, give or
take), though by the end of the morning enough material had been shuffled
back and forth to fill or make up time that the distinction sort of
evaporated. And in any case, Gary frequently rewrote my stuff and
rearranged the order of stories chosen by the editor on duty; that's part
of his prerogative as "managing editor" of the broadcast. By no means is he
a talking head, whether he's sitting in the studio or in St. Augustine.
What I meant to convey was the idea that even if Gary's in Florida for a
week or two at a time, he's got a top-notch support staff back in Boston
making sure that nothing gets missed as a result.

My issue with the dreaded Sinclair weather people (they're actually women,
most of them) in Hunt Valley is that they have ZERO experience with
Rochester weather. We have very complicated weather patterns here thanks to
Lakes Ontario and Erie nearby, and as a result of the huge quantities of
snow we get every winter, most Rochesterians are much less fazed by a
forecast of, say, 6-12" overnight than people would be in most markets.
(There is also - just as in the Boston market - a tremendous variation in
snowfall and other storm conditions from one part of the market to another.
"North of the Thruway" and "South of the Thruway" are very important
distinctions here.) Being FROM here - or at least living here long enough
to experience a few winters and see how the natives deal with them - makes
a big difference in being able to accurately forecast what's on the way and
to convey that information to locals in a useful way. Once you have that
experience, though, I don't think it disappears just because you leave town
for a week or two. But you have to get that experience first - and the
weather folk at Hunt Valley have, for the most part, never even visited
Rochester. (At the same time, weather is one of those things that I think
does require proximity. As much as I respect some of our TV meteorologists
in Rochester, there's no way they could call a big storm as accurately from
State College or Hunt Valley or St. Augustine as they can looking out the
window here in town.)

But what Gary does is somewhat different. It's been years - decades, even,
maybe - since he's been out in the field reporting, or even spending much
time gathering news from the studio. He's not "just reading" the news by
any means, but his role is much more that of an intermediary than that of a
primary newsgatherer. I'm much less troubled by the idea of Gary anchoring
(unannounced) from Florida than I was when I first got to WBZ and saw one
reporter heading out to the parking lot at 4:55 to do a 5 AM "live from"
report from the cell phone in his car just outside the back door. I don't
think the reporter in question was claiming to be anywhere in particular,
but it seems to me that there IS still an expectation from listeners that
reporters will be where they seem to be (whether that's in the studio in
Boston or at the scene of a story.) I don't think there's that same
expectation these days for an anchor. There certainly doesn't seem to be
any sense of outrage here in Rochester that half of the only 10 PM
broadcast TV news in town comes from Maryland, and that's never been a
secret (it was reported, at least sketchily, in the local papers when they
made the switch to News Central.)

Several people have asked what would happen if there's some huge story in
Boston while Gary's in Florida. I can't speak for the current news
management at WBZ, obviously, but I can hazard a reasonable guess from
having worked with most of them: while Gary wouldn't disappear from the
broadcast at that point, whichever other anchors are in the studio at the
time (Deb Lawler and Jay McQuaide, primarily) would handle most of the
anchoring duties; there would be a lot of use of channel 4 news audio; and
if Gary's location in Florida became a relevant issue in terms of his
ability to report what was going on, he'd say something about it on the air.

I can tell you exactly what would happen if a huge story broke while Gary
was in Boston: he wouldn't leave his studio; he'd be in constant
communication by text messaging and intercom with the editor on duty, and
he'd be watching channel 4 on a screen in the corner to see what they're doing.

Now answer me this: unless the breaking story were actually taking place in
the corner of the WBZ parking lot that Gary can see out the studio window
(and it's neither a very big window nor very convenient to look out of
while on the air), how is he any less connected when he's in Florida? He's
got the same computer screens in front of him, the same full access to
incoming audio (it all passes through the router system no matter what the
source), and the same intercom connection to the editor's desk. The only
thing he might not have in Florida is live channel 4 video, and it's
certainly technically possible for him to have THAT as well - all it would
take would be a DirecTV or Dish receiver with an account billed to Soldiers
Field Road.

Either way, as an anchor Gary is ultimately by himself in a room with a lot
of incoming text and audio information, and his job is to synthesize all of
that so it makes sense to a listener in Boston. My contention is that all
of Gary's experience makes it possible for him to do that job just as well
- and with as much relevance and connection to Boston's audience - from
somewhere other than Boston, at least for short periods of time. That's
still not the same thing as the News Central sort of operation, where the
idea is that the Hunt Valley anchors can do what they do without EVER
setting foot in Rochester or Flint or Pittsburgh or Raleigh or Las Vegas or...