LaPierre on the loose...on the beach?

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Fri Jan 16 14:01:31 EST 2004

Dan Cole wrote...

>  When I was at WTSN our sports director, Jock MacKenzie, always did the
> sports from his home in the morning.  We provided him with all the wire
> scores, made sure he had a list of cuts for use in the reports  (he let
> us know what one he wanted to use and when he wanted them), and he made
> the necessary phone calls and did whatever else he had to do to be
> prepared.  The line was studio quality, so there was no problem on that
> end.

Likewise, back in the mid-late 90s the AM drive newsperson we had on WJYY
was a single mother with small children.  A real hassle to find a sitter
at 5am, so we had an ISDN line installed at her house, and set up a small
mixer.  Wire copy was either faxed to her or she got it off the web.  I
doubt anyone cared that she was not in the studio.

> I don't see it as that big of a deal so long as the quality and quantity
> remains first rate.

Which is, frankly all the listeners care about either.