WBZ Florida

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 13:15:20 EST 2004

--- Paul Hopfgarten <paul@03038.com> wrote:
> Ah! So Rankine and Kelvin START at the same point in
> "absolute" terms, but
> move foward at 5:9 relationship (as it
> were...)

Speaking of Fahrenheit and Celsius, remember how in
the 70s we were supposed to go metric? We have, in
bits and pieces. You can get a 12 oz (aka 355 mL)
can of soda, or a 2 litre bottle. But gas is still
in gallons.

Those hash marks at Gillete Stadium are yards,
not metres. Somebody is said to be 5'10", not 170 cm.

During the 70s when I went to school, they did teach
us metric and public service announcements ran on
TV and radio (hey! there's our link to the gist
of this list) saying "Take Ten--and Learn the Metric
Way".

I think the formula for conversion is:

Take Fahrenheit degrees (example: 50)
Subtract 32 (equals 18)
Multiply by 5 (equals 90)
Divide by 9 (So 50 F equals 10 C)

The way I look at it, there are 5 Celsius degrees
for every 9 Fahrenheit degrees. So 32 F= 0 C,
41 F= 5 C, 50 F= 10 C... "room temperature"
68 F= 20 C, and so on.

Any "bank thermometers" still use both Fahrenheit
and Celsius? Maybe the ones close to the
Canadian border.

Well, it's 4 degrees above right here in Beverly.
Too bad it's not 4 degrees Celsius, which would
be a bit warmer. At least it would be above
freezing! :)