WBZ Florida

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Thu Jan 15 17:28:14 EST 2004

  Scott Fybush wrote:

> In any case, the practice doesn't really bother me that much. Rick Dees
> does many of his morning shows for KIIS in Los Angeles from his farm in
> Kentucky; Paul Harvey spends several months a year in Arizona and does his
> show from there; Don Imus is often at his ranch in New Mexico for his show
> - and now the whole world knows how infrequently Rush Limbaugh sets foot
in
> his Manhattan studio. I'm pretty sure Dees and Harvey never mention where
> they are. Imus does. Limbaugh kept it as a barely-concealed secret for
many
> years but now talks openly about doing the show from Florida.

   Imus does indeed mention when he's broadcasting at the ranch, I've never
heard Paul Harvey mention where's he broadcasting from, although he'll
mention if he's making an appearance (i.e "Tomorrow I'll be in New York City
to speak to such and such convention") but if he does the show from a studio
at ABC's NYC facility that day he doesn't mention that fact.

   The fact that Gary LaPierre is sitting looking at the beach in Florida
while bringing us the news of the day isn't a big deal IMHO, if LaPierre or
WBZ management want to tell us, fine. If not, what's the big deal? Someone
else mentioned that David Brudnoy regularly does the majority of his shows
from his home, and again that's no big deal. If Brudnoy was broadcasting
live from the State House or some other location, then that should be
disclosed. If LaPierre was anchoring from the State House, that should be
disclosed. LaPierre has served WBZ well for almost 40 years, if he still
wants to work year round and wants to spend some time in Florida at the same
time, then let him enjoy some warm weather while working.

  Disclosure: I'll be spending a few days (Friday thru Monday) in Daytona
Beach FL, escaping the cold blast (trip planned before this cold wave was on
the map), and if I could do my day job from the beach, I'd sure love to be
able to. <g>  Maybe I should drop in on Mr.LaPierre while I'm down there.

Mark Watson