LaPierre on the loose...on the beach?

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Thu Jan 15 13:17:41 EST 2004

Well... When he does LaPierre on the Loose, he's a commentator, but when he
does the news, he's a newscaster. I think the rules for the two categories
are (or should be) different. I realize that radio has a
three-generations-long--or longer--tradition of having the same people
report the news and express opinions on the news. Many of the old-time
commentators, however, were commentators foremost and reporters or
newscasters second. Mr LaPierre was purely a newscaster for decades before
he started voicing his (frequently ill-informed) opinions over the air. For
whatever reason--probably because I just about never agree with
him--LaPierre's opinionizing has made me uneasy even when, say, Paul
Harvey's has not. (And I don't agree with Harvey any more than I do with
LaPierre.) I think part of the reason is that Paul Harvey's style is so
original and unusual that you'd have to be totally detached from reality to
think of him as a strictly a newscaster even when he is merely reading
alleged facts from wire-service copy..

I know that people who have worked with LaPierre think the world of him.
Great! Wonderful! But don't let your personal liking for the man get in the
way of your being objective about whether it was or wasn't appropriate that
he and Infinity Broadcasting attempted to conceal the fact that he was
reporting on severe New England winter weather from the warmth of Florida. I
haven't made up my mind on whether the attempt at concealment was
acceptable, but I'm uncomfortable with it.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367