LaPierre on the loose...on the beach?

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Thu Jan 15 11:54:02 EST 2004

Shawn wrote--

>Short of that, does it really matter where his physical location is?
>With technology being what it is, he could even have the view from outside
>the windows in Allston piped to his living room, if he wants it.  No, he
>won't feel the actual cold this week, but it's not like he's never
>experienced a New England winter before...

And Dave Maynard has been doing the same thing for years.  Again, it's
quite misleading if a newsperson says they are in one place when in reality
they aren't in that place at all-- that's an ethical violation, such as
when years back a reporter (I believe it was ABC's Cokie Roberts) claimed
she was standing in front of  the White House but in fact, she was back at
the studio. But I haven't heard Gary say he is sitting in his home in
Massachusetts.  Gary's been a WBZ employee since 1964 and if technology
permits him to have a nice home in a warmer climate and still do his job,
what's the harm?  He is a commentator, and he can comment from
anywhere.   I am glad that Boston.com told us where to send our Xmas cards
to him, but I still fail to see the problem.