WBZ Florida

Bill O'Neill billo@shoreham.net
Thu Jan 15 10:59:23 EST 2004

Just read the text of the Globe article on LaPierre broadcasting from his north
Florida home.  Peter Casey's remark, "I'm not wasting my airtime to tell people
where Gary is" ... <ouch>

The article notes, "But when contacted by phone in Florida immediately after his
shift, he said, 'Oh, my secret is out.'"  <ibid>

Apparantly, LaPierre, a 39 year veteran of the station, has been spending a
couple of weeks each fall and then a half of each winter month working from his
Florida home by the magic of technology.  This brings in the "so, how long have
we not known?" perspective.

I'm glad that Gary gets to enjoy life at this stage, but, he could have just
told us where he is.  We'd still have listened.

Note the unfortunate timing of the release of the story during a cold weather
blanket.... THe contrast is too much to avoid, especially with his referencing
the extreme cold with an air of frustration that we actually feel to the bone.

Bill O'Neill
Warm & Sunny Shoreham, Vermont (-11F)