Woe-Burn

Paul Hopfgarten paul@03038.com
Sun Jan 11 18:27:14 EST 2004

I have NEVER heard anyone say Kan-ga-MAW-gus!

-Paul Hopfgarten
-East Derry NH

-----Original Message-----
From: boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org
[mailto:boston-radio-interest-bounces@rolinin.BostonRadio.org]On Behalf
Of Laurence Glavin
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2004 1:20 PM
To: bri@bostonradio.org; Chris Beckwith
Subject: Re: Woe-Burn

>DATE: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 03:57:06
>From: "Chris Beckwith" <beckwith@ime.net>
>To: <bri@bostonradio.org>

>I once mispronounced "Narraguagus" when I was ND at WLKE in Bar Harbor;
quite
>embarrasing considering I'm a lifelong Mainer.  Needless to say, it was the
end
>of my full-time radio career.
>
>Take care,
>Chris

One of my pet peeves occurs during the fall-foliage season.
Some announcer, perhaps even a native Noo Englanduh
will say "traffic is backed up at the Kang-ka-MANG-us highway"...
it supposed to be "Kan-ca-MAW-gus".
Of course everyone uses Lakes Webster (Mass.) rather
than Lake Chargoggagogmanchaugagogchabunagungamogg
(which it turns out is a myth anyway).

Laurence Glavin