Call letter designation question

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Sat Jan 10 21:51:35 EST 2004

<<On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:44:58 -0500, Larry Weil <kc1ih@mac.com> said:

> Here at Channel 7 (42), our station ID and our logs show WHDH-TV and WHDH-DT.

The commission generally assigns callsigns to *licenses* and not to
transmitters.  Channel 42 is part of the same license as channel 7,
and so it shares the same callsign.  (This is what was supposed to
happen with the expanded AM band, but then the Commission made the
mistake of allowing the two ``stations'' to be sold separately.  There
is, at least at the moment, much less incentive to do that with DTV,
and there is a much stronger mandate from Congress to make it unlikely
that it will happen in this case.)

-GAWollman