WCAP-AM Shows Up In Ratings

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Sat Jan 10 15:35:56 EST 2004

I understand that it's frowned upon here and on LTAR to
use specific ratings dats, but I believe it's possible
to comment on the APPEARANCE of a station in the latest
Arbs.  The big guys  have digits to the left of the
decimal points and often swap positions with each other,
but as you scroll down the list of stations at a site like
rronline.com, you can observe those outliers on the AM
and FM dial that still manage to get a number to the right of
decimal point, like WJIB-AM 740.  You can also observe those
that are perenially absent (WWZN-AM 1510).  The latest
quarterly Arbs proclaim a new arriver on that august list:
WCAP-AM 980, Lowell.  They didn't even pop up on the monthly
trends, so how can this be?  Has the morning drive
show become more trendy?  Has the afternoon show hosted
by the Emperor of Ice Cream
http://www.everypoet.com/archive/poetry/Wallace_Stevens/wallace_stevens_the_emperor_of_ice_cream.htm
benefited by the guest hosts or taped replays of Howie Carr and
Jay Severin?  Have the Lock Monsters garnered a loyal
radio following?  Inquiring minds would like to know.
(This is the first anniversary of the switch of WCCM-AM
to 1490, and its replacement with Potencia 800, WNNW.
This doesn't seem to be working out for Costa-Eagle Broadcasting
so far.)
Laurence Glavin