Call letter designation question

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Sat Jan 10 14:29:12 EST 2004

>>There are no ``suffixes'' in the rules.<<

I suppose that explains this (Ref.: 47 CFR § 73.3550):

"(f) Only four-letter call signs (plus an LP, FM, TV or CA suffix, if used) will be assigned. The four letter call sign for LPFM stations will be followed by the suffix ``-LP.'' However, subject to the other
provisions of this section, a call sign of a station may be conformed to a commonly owned station holding a three-letter call assignment (plus FM, TV, CA or LP suffixes, if used)."

...or, how about this...

"(m) Where a requested call sign, without the ``-FM,' ``-TV,'' ``-CA'' or ``LP'' suffix, would conform to the call sign of any other non-commonly owned station(s) operating in a different service, an applicant
utilizing the on-line reservation and authorization system will be required to certify that consent to use the secondary call sign has been obtained from the holder of the primary call sign."

>>Stations may have three-, Four-, five-, or six-letter callsigns.<<

See paragraph (f), cited above.

Before citing FCC rules, it would help if one reads them first.

Sid Schweiger
MIS Manager, Entercom Boston LLC
WAAF-WEEI-WQSX-WRKO-WVEI
20 Guest St / 3d Floor