WFAN

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Wed Jan 7 11:45:40 EST 2004

>I've also seen pix in R&R of whatever station Scott Shannon is PD/AM drive
>of and there are full cart racks in the picture.  Hasn't the announcers'
>union gotten their shorts all in a twist over voicetracking, and
>essentially made it impossible for stations to do?  Maybe there are so
>many restrictions on "newfangled" technology written into various
>contracts as to not make it worth the hassle?  Sigh.  Do any NYC music
>stations still use separate announcer & board op?

At least in the case of Shannon and WPLJ, the cart racks (and the row of 8
ITC Deltas above the board) are there because he's the boss and that's what
HE likes to work with. I think he - and some of the other old-timers like
Rick Dees in LA - believe, not without justification, that the "classic"
gear is more reliable than that newfangled digital stuff, and when you're
selling AM drive spots at NYC prices, those make-goods can add up. (I was
never privy to those stats at BZ, but I know we had a LOT of double audio
and such during our transition to digital circa 1996-97, and I can just
imagine what the makegoods must have looked like.)

The Shannon studio with all the carts is used only for his morning show;
there's another studio next door that has Audiovault and is used for the
rest of the day.

That said - and it being market #1, after all - AFTRA has made a big stink
about voicetracking off-hours shifts in NYC and has reached agreements with
several of the broadcasters there to remain live 24/7. I know Clear Channel
was one; I don't know if ABC (WPLJ's parent company) is another.