Audioi (was: WFAN)

Bill O'Neill billo@shoreham.net
Wed Jan 7 10:53:54 EST 2004

> Maybe I'll start listening to WPLJ more often - I always liked the
> processing on that station anyway....I'm sick of all this digital
> #(*&!$@...
>
> --
> Sven

I can't tell the difference but for the absence of cue scratches, feedback hum
to the needle from cranking the speakers....

It seems that the cleaner digital source has prompted a cranking up of
processing even more on some stations while others have chosen to back it down.

Big thing I noticed on my Christmas visit to the Boston area was how LOUD all of
the stations were set at.  Painted on mod monitors at zero dB (ok, +1....)  I
understand competitive loudness issues, but the obliteration of dynamic range,
accentuation of highs and lows to accomodate and it can be a real mess.

I've noticed that WNCS (104.7 Montpelier) one of The Point stations has clearly
dropped down its processing density.  Overall, I'd have to say that Vermont (and
other rural market areas I've checked out) tend to be less into running average
mod as high as more competitive markets.  Trade-off, one of many, I suppose.

Bill O'Neill