Checked with MLB

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Jan 6 12:25:29 EST 2004

At 12:00 PM 1/6/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Perhaps Entercom is more interested in building 'KB in its own market
>rather than trying to serve distant markets at night where they have
>no existing listenership?

Much as I'd love to have a more solid Sox signal here in Rochester, I'm not
particularly thrilled with the idea of putting the Sox on KB, for several
reasons:

1. Jackson Armstrong. He's already heavily pre-empted in his alleged 6-10
PM shift on KB (see below), and all his fans need is to have him knocked
down to a one-hour shift even MORE often. Not a good way to build an oldies
audience.

2. KB already has the Buffalo Bisons (AAA International League) on at
night, and despite lots of speculation that they'd move the Bisons over to
their Buffalo sports signal, WGR 550, they've remained rather stubbornly on
1520 for many seasons now. (I believe the team buys the time from Entercom
and has a great deal of say over which signal they're on). That might make
it hard to put the Sox on instead.

3. Though I have many good friends here in upstate NY who are diehard Sox
fans (is there any other kind?), this is, sadly, Yankees country at heart.
The Yanks moved from WGR to WNSA (107.7) last season, but with WNSA up for
sale (thanks to Adelphia's financial crash) and Entercom rumored to be one
of the top bidders, there's a great likelihood that the Yankees package
will be available to WGR again in 2004 or, at the latest, 2005. I don't
know that the Yankees - or Entercom - would want to run the risk of
diminishing Yankees listenership on WGR by making the Sox available on KB.

4. I'm right in the skywave/groundwave phasing zone at night for 1520 here
in Rochester. Most nights, I'd still get WTIC better! :-)