Checked with MLB

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Tue Jan 6 08:05:16 EST 2004

  Kevin Vahey wrote:

>I am dead serious, and no offense to the voice tracking Jack Armstrong,
>putting Sox night games on KB 1520 would be a huge, huge win for
>Entercom  and give them a solid chance to renew the Sox contract. Honestly
>how can anybody at Entercom not agree with this? KB closes the nighttime
>holes in the network, and they keep it "in house"
>
>Even the non sports fans on this list have to concede the Red Sox are the
>biggest single radio property in Boston.

In Boston maybe, but doubtfully in Buffalo.  How marketable to Buffalo
advertisers is having sports listeners in Maine, or even western Mass?  I'm
not sure there are enough Sox fans in Buffalo proper to make it worth
it.  If they can't sell the games to Buffalo advertisers, what benefit is
it to KB?  Don't they already carry some minor league team pbp?

Granted, I have zero interest in sports, but I question the wisdom of
breaking format to carry sports on a music station anyway.  Football seems
to work for AORs, but that's about it.  With baseball, you've blown off
regular programming almost every night for 6 months.  KB needs all the
consistency it can get given it's half-hearted attempt at an oldies
format.  It seems to me that the oldies & sports have totally (or nearly
total) different audiences (just because the demos are similar doesn't mean
it's the same listeners).  I definitely get ticked if a favorite music
station breaks format to carry a ball game of any kind.

As far as a new radio home for the Sox...lotsa luck.  WBZ is about the only
AM station with a decent night signal, and I doubt they're gonna want to
give up that much of their regular programming, even for something as
lucrative as the Sox can be (though stranger things have happened).  As for
FM, other than perennial bottom dwellers like WBOS or WXRV I can't see any
stations that are doing badly enough that they'd want to make that kind of
a change (and I frankly doubt the compatability of baseball & AAA either).