Globe: Met Opera out at WBOQ

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Sat Jan 3 00:37:47 EST 2004

On 1 Jan 2004 at 22:41, Bob Nelson wrote:

> I've mentioned the first episode of "WKRP in Cincinnati" before. IIRC,
> the second episode featured a man who was upset that the station
> changed from beautiful music to raucous rock, and he brought in some
> protestors-- who looked like they were from a nearby rest home-- with
> picket signs. I'm sure WBOQ got many emails and phone calls of protest
> but that won't do any good now.

I seem to remember that at some point, maybe in the 1980s, WNCN in New York switched
away from a classical music format and even changed its call letters to something else.
According to the story I read at the time, as a result of large numbers of protests, they
changed back, both format and call letters.  At least for awhile.  I believe they are now no
longer classical, though I think this time they kept the call letters.

Does anyone else know more of the specifics of this story?