Clear Channel to enhance radio ads with RDS

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Jan 2 15:39:58 EST 2004

<<On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 12:50:03 -0500, SteveOrdinetz <steveord@bit-net.com> said:

> I wonder what unit CC is using.  The Inovonics I installed at WOTX has 2
> fixed-length fields...an 8 character one for ID, and a 32 character one for
> info.  It's a low-end model that can not dynamically update.  It does what
> they wanted it to do.  Besides, it's installed at the tx site, which would
> make dynamically updating a bit cumbersome.  How do the CC stations
> dynamically update theirs?  Do they send the data over an STL subcarrier?

The places that I have heard of that use it heavily keep the RDS
encoder at the studio, attached to the studio automation system, and
STL the subcarrier data to the transmitter.

-GAWollman