Globe: Met Opera out at WBOQ

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Fri Jan 2 09:56:44 EST 2004

Dan Strassberg wrote:
>I did actually hear a song/group that I like on WBOQ post flip. This may
>actually be the ONLY album cut that works for both formats: Manhattan
>Transfer: "Boy from New York City."
>I think it's a great send-up of doo-wop
>and, as done by M-T, it's also quite musical. (And I think Janice Segal, who
>sings lead on "Boy," is really HOT.) I understand that she is now recording
>solo. I haven't heard any of her solo recordings and I don't know whether
>she is still performing with the group.

Actually, Janis (which is how she spells it) has been doing solo projects
since the mid 80s, if not before.  Dunno if MT is still together...haven't
heard anything from them in years.

>An interesting trivia item about
>M-T: all four members are left-handed (at least they were when Janice was in
>the group). This is NOT a comment on the group members' politics ;>). I do
>wonder however, if they must replace Janice, is left-handedness a selection
>criterion.

For the longest time, they never showed actual photos of the members on
their albums.  I always wondered if that was because the lineup was fluid.