Clear Channel to enhance radio ads with RDS

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Jan 1 22:28:30 EST 2004

<<On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 21:31:05 -0500, "Dan Strassberg" <dan.strassberg@att.net> said:

> I have, on several occasions, rented Ford Focuses in Tampa while visitng my
> mom at the assisted-living facility.

I drove a Ford Contour for eight years, and this was the principal
failing.  It is in fact possible to tune these radios manually, but it
requires pressing a separate "tune" button (I forget how it's actually
labeled" in order to defeat the seek function, and then use the seek
up/down buttons to tune the desired frequency.  Definitely not
compatible with high-speed driving.

> I forget the name of the company that Ford spun off to make radios and such,

Visteon.  They also make components for other car-makers now.

-GAWollman