Clear Channel to enhance radio ads with RDS

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Thu Jan 1 16:20:58 EST 2004

On 1 Jan 2004 at 11:04, tony schinella wrote:

> Well, technically, the Naderites are right and as we have all seen, other
> motorist distractions, like the stereo dials, food, kids in the car, etc.,
> have caused more accidents than cell phones. I think this idea is a bad
> one and I don't think it will work.

True.  But also, what happens right now when we're driving along, and the commercial on the
radio gives a number to call or a Website to check, etc.?  I have a small voice recorder that I
can reach easily and record the information.  If I didn't have that, I might be tempted to try to
write it down while driving.  More distraction.  A way for a radio to take down the information
from a commercial with little distraction to the driver, so that we could follow-up later, would
be a great convenience.  But a system which encourages the driver to act right away, with
credit card billing, while the driver's attention should be on driving, is not not exactly
consumer-friendly.

I'd love to see the lawsuit when someone gets something other than what they thought they
had ordered.  Or it turns out to cost more than they expected.  Or they pushed the button on
their dashboard, but don't remember it by the time the merchandise arrives because the
system didn't print out a record for them.

And what happens if the credit card is declined?  Will the driver be prompted to provide
another credit card number, while driving?