A "Legal" 99.9 For Lawrence?

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Thu Jan 1 14:14:51 EST 2004

>>I find it interesting that any unauthorized users aren't simply shut down as soon as they are discovered.  Seems like a clear cut example of a federal law violation.<<

Clear-cut though it may be, it's not nearly that simple.  The FCC monitoring stations and trucks can't be everywhere at once.  There aren't nearly enough field agents to cover all the bases, especially in places like New York City and south Florida where pirate radio is running almost out of control.  Further, when the FCC busts a pirate, it must gather enough evidence while the pirate is still on the air to be able to stand up against any later court challenges, including time-stamped recordings of both audio and data from the Commission's monitoring equipment.  It's a process that takes time.

Sid Schweiger
MIS Manager, Entercom Boston LLC
WAAF-WEEI-WQSX-WRKO-WVEI
20 Guest St / 3d Floor