Don Henley on radio

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Sun Feb 22 10:46:47 EST 2004

  Eli Polonsky wrote:
>Still, I believe that this nebulous group who are no longer
>listening to commercial radio (or much radio at all) are where
>many of the audience who once made "FM underground" radio very
>popular in some cities 30 or 35 years ago went, and when a
>commercial station (such as a classic rock station) nowadays
>tries digging out "lost" music that appealed well to that
>audience way back then, it often gets no response and flops
>because that audience is no longer there, they haven't tuned
>to that part of the dial in decades, and it wouldn't be that
>easy, if possible at all, to get them back.

I wonder if this group were ever more than occasional and/or tentative
listeners.  Certainly there were a lot fewer format choices available in
the days when free-form "FM underground" radio was around...even back then
those stations seemed to appeal mostly to people who'd turned away from
radio as having nothing of interest to offer otherwise.  These disgruntled
listeners may have put up with the Mahavishnu Orchestra in order to hear
the Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd or Joan Baez back then, but the likelihood of
an "all over the road" format succeeding today with our limited attention
spans is unlikely.  Indeed, AOR didn't really become successful until the
mid 70s when stations started to tighten up their playlists.

Realistically, what did most markets offer formatically in the
60s/70s?  Several top 40s battling it out for the teens, one or two big
dominant full service MOR/AC stations (the old WHDH is a perfect example,
or WBZ in the 70s/80s), and maybe a country station.  FM was by and large a
wasteland either simulcasting the AM in the 60s or elevator music once the
FCC clamped down on simulcasts.

I even see my parents as an example of this when I was growing up.  My
mother had grown up with "old time" radio (radio dramas...the Shadow,
Fibber McGee & Molly, etc.), and wasn't particularly interested in music
radio aside from the occasional novelty song.  My father listened mostly to
polkas & classical.  Neither of which were available on the air in
small-town Vermont (aside from the obligatory Sunday morning polka party
shows).  They'd tolerate top 40 because my siblings and I made such a fuss
otherwise, but otherwise neither one listened to much radio except for the
news.