WMTW-TV & WFXT In "Welcome To Mooseport"

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Sat Feb 21 19:55:23 EST 2004

    This afternoon I saw the movie "Welcome To Mooseport" which opened on
Friday. The movie is set in the fictional town of Mooseport, Maine. The
movie stars Gene Hackman as a former US President and Ray Romano as the
local hardware store owner and handyman. They both end up running against
each other for mayor. Among the fictional media that follow the campaign are
2 real New England TV stations: WMTW (Channel 8 Poland Springs ME) and WFXT
(Channel 25 Boston). I didn't see a WFXT Fox 25 mike flag or news truck (may
have been in the background) but WMTW was more visible. There was a Ford
Explorer with the WMTW logo parked on the street and shown in one scene.
There was also a scene that showed someone watching TV and an actress
portraying a WMTW reporter was doing a live report, the Channel 8 logo in
the bottom right corner, but her mike flag showed "TVNN".

   The credits at the end of the movie mentioned WFXT Fox 25 & WMTW Channel
8 used with permission.

   Last year, the movie "Bruce Almighty" featured WKBW-TV (Channel 7
Buffalo) and it's "Eyewitness News". Any other movies in recent years that
come to mind that featured real New England or Northeast US TV or radio
stations?

Mark Watson