Don Henley on radio

DonKelley@aol.com DonKelley@aol.com
Sat Feb 21 16:10:09 EST 2004

In a message dated 2/21/2004 1:08:16 PM Eastern Standard Time, steveord@bit-net.com writes:

> I think we're seeing conspiracy where none exists.  I seriously doubt that
> the big bad evil suits issued a directive to not play anything from this
> top-selling album for reasons unknown.  Is there a
> possibility that it really didn't fit?  Don Kelley...did you get a directive
> from Greater Media to stay away from that soundtrack?

Absolutely not.  As I said, there are no such directives.

When we test music, we test for awareness, fit, compatability, acceptance, and fatigue.  Have they ever heard of it?  Would it fit on the station?  Would it work when played next to other songs on the station?  Do they like it?  If so, do they like it a little, or a lot?  Would they crank it up when song came on?  If they dislike it, do they dislike it a little, or a lot?  Would they flip off the station?  Did they like the song in the past but now are sick of hearing it on the radio?

I'll share this with you...when we tested the soundtrack of "Wherefore Art Thou Brother" in a regular AC test half the room looked up from their scoresheets with a "what the hell is that??" look on their faces. Almost no one knew it, and the few who did didn't like it.  We actually tested it a second time and the results were even worse.

That's why it didn't get airplay.