Don Henley on radio

Ira Apple iapple@erols.com
Fri Feb 20 20:25:36 EST 2004

Don is correct about how music was chosen after the hearings on payola.
Though I don't know how other companies did it, at Group W - KDKA, WBZ
et.al - music committees were formed that would review all the records that
came in during the week. Those on the committee were most often the PD, the
Music Director, the Assistant PD, Executive Producer. We would also rotate
DJ's who took part so everyone got involved. Of course the purpose was to be
sure selections were not made by just one person.

Actually, those meetings were a lot of fun and something to look forward to.
Lots of debates, and arguments that were usually good natured but most of
all the meetings were a great learning experience. The PD might exert a
little muscle now and then but for the most part it was like being on a
jury.

There was another committee formed that you may never heard of, but I was
also a member of what we called the "Loudness Committee".  That sounds like
a joke now and to some extent it was then. The purpose was to listen to
commercials that came in from agencies to be sure they were not
overmodulated to the point they were they came through much louder than
regular program content. (There was some speculation in those days that
producers deliberately made the commercials louder. It is hard to imagine
they would do such a thing.)

We were fussy in those days.  In retrospect I think we did it the right way.