GIN, GIP, etc

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Fri Feb 20 00:18:13 EST 2004

At 12:00 AM 2/20/2004 -0500, Garrett Wollman wrote:
><<On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 23:07:41 -0500, Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com> said:
>
> > If not for WZBC, WNTN would have come close: 83,829 people there in 2000.
>
> > I'm pretty sure the largest communities near Boston with NO licensed
> > broadcast services are Woburn (37,258) and Braintree (33,698).
>
>Of course, having no stations at all didn't count in the X-band
>sweepstakes.  Quincy comes closest, but still needs another 12,000
>people.  Leominster would have to more than double in population.
>Chicopee is about halfway there, as are West Hartford and Milford,
>Conn.  No place else in New England is remotely close.  (Repeating the
>examination for New York is left as an exercise.)

And what an interesting exercise it is - we have (at least for the moment)
a station that is completely eligible under the WJDM Clause, as I
understand it.

Behold WUFO 1080, Amherst NY. Only station licensed to Amherst. 1000-watt
daytimer. Amherst's pop? 116,510.

Someone call Sheridan Broadcasting and tell them the news - but quick!
There's an allocation for 92.1A in Amherst which will someday go to auction
and get built.

One could also make an argument for WGSM 740 Huntington, but here we get
into some sticky questions of census definitions. Is WGSM licensed to the
TOWN of Huntington, pop. 195,289, or to what the Census calls the
"Huntington CDP," pop. only 18,403? There are other villages within the
town of Huntington that have licensed stations...but I can point to other
stations in New York state that are licensed to towns and not to their
villages. (The old Rural Radio Network FMs licensed to "Wethersfield
Township" and "South Bristol Township" come to mind; nobody in New York
would call those places "townships," of course.)

Likewise WLIE 540 Islip - town of Islip (322,612) or "CDP" (20,575)?

If 1520 were still licensed Oyster Bay instead of Mineola, we could have
the same argument there.

And of course the largest community in the state - and very possibly in the
entire country - with no licensed stations at all is Yonkers, with 196,086
people and diddly-squat licensed to it.