query for program directors

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Mon Feb 16 00:30:48 EST 2004

I've been hearing a lot of ads for continuing education and night school
college courses on WBZ and several other stations 25-44 radio stations--
University of Phoenix (which has a campus in Braintree), Harvard Extension
School, U.Mass, Eastern Nazarene, Cambridge College, Quincy College, just
to name a few I've heard lately.   What's the deal?  I mean, I know that
some people are out of work and need job re-training, but these ads seem to
be aimed at getting adults to go back to school and either finish their
undergrad degree or get a Master's.  Is this just a Boston phenomenon--
that is, are colleges in and around Boston trying to get some more adult
degree students, or have you heard these types of commercials in other
cities too?  And does anybody have a hot theory about why these colleges
have suddenly decided to become heavy users of radio?  I can recall when
they didn't use radio at all...