Uncle Charlie's not amused

Matthew Osborne mattosborne1976@yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 00:23:49 EST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 19:21:19 -0500 Dan Billings wrote:
> It is interesting how the general reaction here is
> against FCC action, but
> the general reaction here was in favor of action
> against Opie and Anthony
> when the FCC was against them.  Now my position, on
> both issues, is let the
> market decide.  But I see a bigger problem with
> offensive content on the
> Super Bowl than on the a show like O&A, where most
> who tune in know what to
> expect.

This brings up an interesting topic.  Although this is
more of a generic idea, what is more harmful - a
female baring their breast on national TV, or someone
carrying out an absolute desecration of a place of
worship, and describing everything happening there in
gory detail live on the air.  I personally think what
Opie and Anthony did was far worse than what Janet
Jackson and Justin Timberlake did, but our society in
general is so taboo/"can't have any of it, must
pretend that it does not exist" about nudity that I'm
afraid that the Super Bowl halftime show may be dealt
with more severely than O&A.  As far as the market
deciding, it will - it did with O&A (they lost their
show and are now off the air) and it will in this case
too, whether or not any of us agree with how it
decides.

                               Matt Osborne
                               Poughkeepsie, NY