Uncle Charlie's not amused

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Tue Feb 3 08:19:28 EST 2004

Mark Watson wrote:

>    Now that the FCC is involved, I wonder who will they fault and fine? CBS
>bailed out as quick as they could IMHO, but CBS' parent company owns MTV,
>who put on the halftime festivities. Could the FCC levy fines against Janet
>Jackson and or Justin Timberlake?

Does the FCC really have so little work to do that they have time and
resources to waste pursuing this?  Every pirate broadcaster permanently
silenced, no AMs "forgetting" to power down at sunset, etc?   When Bono
dropped the F-bomb on one of those interchangeable awards shows, it was
ruled to have been acceptable in certain contexts, why do we think that
heads will roll because of this?  I fail to see how the FCC needs to be
poking around here.  My guess is that CBS had no idea that this stunt (and
it was a stunt) was gonna happen.  So we saw more of Janet than we really
needed to see...it's not like it's the end of the world or anything.

>    Will this fiasco come back to haunt CBS come NFL contract renewal time?

Is there such a bad thing as bad publicity?