GPS

Sid Whitaker sid.whitaker@unh.edu
Thu Dec 16 11:23:23 EST 2004

Shawn is right about the military's use of GPS. My understanding is that
civilian GPS is bascially the same as military GPS, with something called
"selective accuracy" (SA) thrown in. In other words, military GPS receivers are
accurate to within a few feet (or less), while the military adds SA to civilian
GPS receivers to make them less accurate (say, to within 50 feet or so). SA was
designed and added specifically to counter enemy use of the GPS system. I
thought that SA was removed prior to 9/11 as GPS became more widely accepted,
but perhaps not. Seems to me that instead of shutting down the GPS system, the
military easily could increase the SA on civilian GPS to a level of inaccuracy
(e.g., to one mile) that would render the system useless.

Sid Whitaker