Portland Press Herald article on Media Consolidation

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Sun Dec 5 17:12:03 EST 2004

Daniel Billings wrote:
>Does Mr. Blethen see the irony of this message coming from the man who
>owns 3 of the 7 daily newspapers in the state and a growing chain of
>weekly papers?
>
>Blethen's ownership is also a good example of out of state owners cutting
>back on local news resources.

I was thinking the same thing.

Not even a new phenomenon...I worked at the Seattle Times in the mid 70s,
and even then they were pretty much the only game in town...they had a
joint operating agreement with their erstwhile competitor, the Post
Intelligencer and owned most of the weeklies in the area too.