Animal nicknames for radio stations

Roy Lawrence lawrencemedia@yahoo.com
Tue Aug 17 16:38:31 EDT 2004

Here in the Bay area we have - 95.7 "The Bear"
(Country) owned by Bonneville Broadcasting, 104.1 "The
Hawk" (Classic Rock) in Modesto owned by Citidel
Communications, and in that same cluster 103.3 "Cat
Country". We even have weather named stations too,
"Sunny 102.3" and 104.5/97.7 K-FOG (Our WBOS of the
West Coast). Back in my native state, Maine has 92.3
"The Moose" (CHR). Does anyone recall the television
spot the old "FM-103" in Portland used days prior to
their launch from the beautiful music format? It was
when they announced "the end of boring radio in
Portland" sporting a monkey with a banana dancing
around on an office desk with the voice person saying
"we are going to go banana's on Wednesday". It was an
ad that stood out in any stop-set. The station climbed
to the top of the ratings in short time. Me thinks
"The Monkey", "The Chimp" or "The Banana" might be
worked in as catchy phrases. ;-)

Portland has "Frank-FM". WBLM could become "George of
the Jungle". <g>

Roy Lawrence
San Francisco, CA