Dem., Kerry lawyers try to squelch anti-Kerry ad

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@myway.com
Fri Aug 6 13:29:26 EDT 2004

>>I think the lawyers for Kerry/DNC would have no chance of blocking the ad from the airwaves for reasons deeply related to our Constitution. Whether the claims are accurate is not the issue -- the people making the claims and appearing in the ad insist they are true (while many others who were also in or around Kerry at the time insist they are not). That's enough to protect the advertising group. Plus there is a real problem with prior restraint

Because of recent campaign finance reform (the McCain-Feingold
bill, I think), there have been changes; I can't remember them all but I think there was some kind of prohibition upon _some_ groups or individuals for running issue-based ads a month and a half before
the election, while other individuals or groups could. Whether or not this ad applies, I don't know, and I also don't know if it's
OK to run an ad bascially saying "_don't_ vote for this candidate"
but it's not OK to _endorse_ a certain candidate"....