Dem., Kerry lawyers try to squelch anti-Kerry ad

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Fri Aug 6 10:39:34 EDT 2004

At 10:12 AM 8/6/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>The Kerry campaign has already been recruiting lawyers to stand at the
>polling places to monitor (intimidate) the vote and challenge any
>questionable practices (Questionable practices is places where the tally
>doesn't go their way).  I guess that the theory is that if you can't win at
>the ballot box, take it to the courts.

Umm, at the risk of turning this into another of those endless political
discussions, there were so many voting irregularities in Florida in the
last election that every major newspaper (both right-wing and left-wing)
now acknowlesges they should have paid closer attention.  Some voting
machines still don't function properly, and more than 50,000 voters were
arbitrarily (and erroneously) tossed off the Florida voting list in 2000,
as has been thoroughly documented.  I don't blame Kerry, or anybody else,
from wanting to monitor this election's proceedings.  It's not about trying
to get the election to 'go their way'-- it's about making sure the votes
are all counted.  As for the other legal matter, the outrageous negative ad
being run about Kerry's war record, even John McCain and one of the
veterans originally quoted in the political ad agree the ad is deceptive
and based on smear tactics rather than truth.  Today's Globe front-page
states that one of the alleged "veterans who served with Kerry" admits he
had NO first-hand knowledge of Kerry's service and only signed on because
he hated Kerry's anti-war actions later on.  McCain is right-- like him or
not, Kerry was a war hero and to smear him for political purposes is
despicable.  The lawyers are doing what I would expect-- fighting against
slander.  We don't need the sort of campaign tactic that spreads lies about
the other side, no matter whether it's Republicans or Democrats doing it.