why media consolidation is NOT a good thing

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Apr 30 00:36:21 EDT 2004

<<On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:15:29 -0400, Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com> said:

> The difference here, as those of us "fortunate" enough to get "local"
> "news" (man, my keyboard's getting a workout on the quote sign tonight)
> from Sinclair know all too well about the company, is that this is a
> nakedly ideological (some would even say "political," but I'm loath to get
> Garrett's blood pressure worked up so close to my Boston trip) move on the
> part of Sinclair corporate.

Far be it from me to actually *defend* Sinclair, a loathsome[1]
operator if ever there were one.  However, I object to the appointment
of Sinclair as the poster child for ``media consolidation''; GE,
Viacom, Clear Channel, and even Univision are all much more
appropriate exemplars of that trend.  Thankfully, none of these
companies are remotely at the level of Sinclair.

-GAWollman

[1] Do I have to pay royalties to Brudnoy for the use of that
adjective?