why media consolidation is NOT a good thing

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Apr 29 23:01:32 EDT 2004

<<On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:44:53 -0400, Kevin Vahey <kvahey@tmail.com> said:

> Now all that is left of that proud company is their media outlets and
> they even took the name of the company they bought (CBS)

> Westinghouse

I think that the companies that ended up with bits and pieces of the
old Westinghouse companies, from Electrolux (White-Westinghouse
appliances) to American Standard (Westinghouse Air Brake Co.), would
probably disagree with that assessment.

Indeed, from an industrial history perspective, American Standard has
more in common with Georg Wistinghausen's vision than CBWesFiniCom
ever did.  Sumner would probably agree (and I'd bet he considers it a
good thing, too).

-GAWollman