why media consolidation is NOT a good thing

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Thu Apr 29 17:44:18 EDT 2004

>DATE: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:57:45
>From: Donna Halper <dlh@donnahalper.com>
>
>Yes, but thanks to consolidation, there are fewer choices.  Joe or Jane
>local owner may have banned something, but you could always find it
>elsewhere.  These days, with station owners controlling entire markets, it
>is hard to get to see a controversial show.  And why should reading the
>names of those who died in Iraq be worthy of a ban anyway?

When I get up in the morning, the President could have been
assasinated overnight and I wouldn't know it yet because
I roll tape of Comedy Central's "Daily Show" and the
Jay Leno monologue. In a way I use my TV as a radio
while I make coffee, feed the cat etc.  But something
today (04/29) drew me into the room for Jon Stewart: ABC is going to
run a "20/20" in the form of a "reality show"
with the grand prize of a baby to be put up for adoption.
Later Leno commented on the show with a follow-up line
about the concept being too gross for Fox.  It strikes me that
THIS is a show that ABC affils should be pre-empting.