Nassau comes to town

Dan Billings billings@suscom-maine.net
Sat Apr 10 21:25:22 EDT 2004

Sid: You are now quibbling.

Your first post said this: "What you're probably referring to is the "equal
opportunity" law (47 USC 315(a)), which states that if you sell air time to
one candidate for an office, you have to sell air time to all other
candidates for that same office."  Your post seemed to imply that that this
is the only requirement placed on broadcast stations and it is not.  The law
does not only apply to selling time, it applies to time given away and time
on non-news shows.

To go back to the situation that started this discussion -- if a station was
running only Kerry speeches in October, the Bush campaign would have a basis
under the law to complain.

The law may not impose a strict equal time provision but I think the first
thing a judge would look at is how much time was provided to each candidate.
I don't think it would be considered equal opportunity to give one candidate
a minute and another an hour,

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine