Nassau comes to town

Sid Schweiger sid@wrko.com
Sat Apr 10 14:20:42 EDT 2004

>>Nothing in the foregoing sentence shall be construed as relieving broadcasters, in connection with the presentation of newscasts, news interviews, news documentaries, and on-the-spot coverage of news
events, from the obligation imposed upon them under this chapter to operate in the public interest and to afford reasonable opportunity for the discussion of conflicting views on issues of public importance.<<

Funny how I could read the same interminable sentence, and find no mention of "equal time."  In the English language, "reasonable opportunity for the discussion of conflicting views" is not the same as "equal time."  Are they the same in some other language?

Funny how I could also read the same sentence and find no mention of the 45- and 60-day limits which you cited in your original posting, and which do in fact relate only to advertising rates.

History lesson:  The concept of "equal time" was thrown out decades ago by the courts as being contrary to the First Amendment and unenforceable, unless the FCC wished to make licensees account for every second of every discussion of public-policy issues...an offer which the FCC declined.

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom Boston LLC
WAAF-WEEI-WQSX-WRKO-WVEI
20 Guest St / 3d Floor