Donna Quoted in CBS Marketwatch

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Mon Apr 5 16:43:36 EDT 2004

>DATE: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 01:04:54
>From: "A. Joseph Ross" <lawyer@attorneyross.com>
>To: "Donna Halper" <dlh@donnahalper.com>,"Dan >Billings" <billings@suscom-maine.net>

>What I don't understand is, why can't commercial radio news do a six-minute news story
>with a commercial break after the first three?  Television breaks for commercials during a
>story.
>
>--
>A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                           617.367.0468
> 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 lawyer@attorneyross.com
>Boston, MA 02108-2503           	         http://www.attorneyross.com

WBZ-AM is a good example of doing both:  their news stories
are about a minute-and-a-half, but from time to time one
of their contributors like Peter Meade will be allowed
to go on for longer, either as a part of a Q&A session
or for a long disquisition (like this sentence).
Also breaking news, either from CBS/ABC or a reporter
in the field can go longer also.  News/talk stations,
whether AM or FM, are just as likely as stations that
play recordings to do a rip-and-read style 'cast;  it's just that
the news/talkers come out of the news and then pick a
subject, or as Howie Carr always puts it, a topic to
carry a half-hour or hour.

Laurence Glavin