radio April Fools pranks, of now and the past

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@yahoo.com
Fri Apr 2 12:55:34 EST 2004

Yesterday on the WRKO morning show, the hosts
pretended that the station had told them to become
liberals (so I hear). April Fool. Also, the syndie
Sean Hannity (WTKK locally) pretended to become a
liberal, and many listeners did not get the joke.
(Here in Boston we had a bit of a heads up as the
joke was mentioned on Free Republic--and WTKK
airs Hannity on a 7 hour tape delay.) In some markets,
Hannity airs on a 1 hour tape delay so that even after
he came clean, he was getting calls from
enraged listeners.

In the past:

WILD played country instead of soul one Apr 1 morning.

One year on April Fool's Day I tuned to WFNX and heard
the DJ say, "No, we won't do any April Fool's jokes
here, not me. We'll be right back with the new Beatles
single right after this..." (This
was _before_ The Fab 3 + the voice of John did "Free
as a Bird" and "Real Love", of course)

I think one year WMWM played a bunch of top 40 on
April 1.

True story: I was on WMWM one Sunday, April 1, and it
came over the AP ticker that Marvin Gaye had been
killed by his father. I went upstairs and told someone
about it and they said I had to be joking--it was
April Fool's Day after all. Then someone came in from
another room saying, "Hey, I just heard on Kiss 108
that Marvin Gaye got shot to death..."

Did the Blue Hills Volcano erupt again yesterday?
(Howie Carr was mentioning that Ch 7 prank, and told
of a woman who let her horses free, out of her barns
so that the lava wouldn't harm them)