Shake-up at WEEI

Hakim Madjid hmadjid@yahoo.com
Mon Nov 24 12:26:37 EST 2003

--- Nostaticatall <nostaticatall@comcast.net> wrote:

> There seems
> to be a "rocky" relationship between the new Sox
> brass and WEEI, so
> bringing in a new face to try and mend fences and
> work out a new rights
> deal makes sense for Entercom.  This move has
> nothing to do with the
> Dennis and Callahan/Gorilla situation.  It's all
> about the Sox.

Except for the fact that the Red Sox brass might begin
to have their doubts, given all the bad publicity over
the Dennis and Callahan Gorilla situation.

> Sox-free WEEI would
> probably wind up being a 3 share station most of the
> year, which is
> still better than what most successful sports
> stations pull around the
> country.  WFAN, despite all of their play by play
> deals, only gets a 2.5
> share most of the time in New York and they are one
> of the highest

I wonder what WAFN's numbers would be if they had the
Yankees rights instead of the Mets.

> Entercom would like to keep the Sox, but if they
> don't, they are
> probably working on a post-Sox contingency plan.

What would the contingency plan be, I wonder? I am
amused that after WEEI lost the Celtics rights, on
Celtics game nights, Ted Sarandis prattles on and on
about BC basketball, instead of the Celtics - almost
as if there's sour grapes at 'EEI over the loss of the
Celtics contract. Let's face it, except among some
alumni/ae college sports simply do not have the
following of the pro teams around here.

=====
73, de Hakim (N1ZFF)