Where I Was 40 Years Ago (a radio story)

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Fri Nov 21 17:05:38 EST 2003

Sven Franklin Weil wrote:

>> God, how innocent we were back then...until that weekend...
>
> I never understood this.
>
> Would someone care to explain what people mean by "innocent" and "the
> world changed", etc.
>
> Maybe because I wasn't alive back then....and if this happened now, I
> would probably be a bit shocked but wouldn't be walking around in a daze
> for days wondering what the hell happened.
>
> Didn't happen on the day the World Trade Center fell down....and that
> was  worse.
>
> Am I a callous bastard for even thinking this?

I was in the 8th grade when JFK was shot. While I was vaguely aware that
I'd just witnessed history being made I don't recall it overly affecting
me either.

Maybe I'm callous too, but what I recall most was annoyance that every
radio station suspended regular programming for either talk or somber
music until the funeral was over.  I was at an age where I was really into
the hits, and just wanted something "decent" on the radio again.