Today's LTAR

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Mon Nov 17 00:52:14 EST 2003

Bob and Dan were talking this morning about the extent to which religions teach
creationism.  I believe that at this point only the most fundamentalist religions do.  I think I
read a few years ago that the Catholic Church accepted evolution, but believed that it is
guided by God.

That is the position that most Orthodox rabbis adopted back in the 19th century, when
evolution first came out.  The feeling among even most Orthodox scholars is that even the
Talmudic rabbis would have had no problem with the idea of one species evolving from
another, but, again, believe the process is not random, but is guided by God.