Pit Stop in Times Square

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Tue Dec 30 17:27:26 EST 2003

My travels took me to New York City during the past
weekend to view the Metropolitan Opera's controversial
production of a work by the French composer Hector Berlioz:
"Benvenuto Cellini".  Great score, wonderful female lead singer,
crummy staging, but still well worth the trip.  I don't
know if the change at WBOQ-FM 104.9 means the end of their
carriage of the broadcasts.  The change must have been in the
works for a while, and they did carry weeks 1, 2 and 3.
Anyway, another item on my itinerary was to view the
changes on the venerable Empire State Building and also
check out 4 Times Square.  The former obviously has more
antennas on it than the last time I checked
(last May for another Berlioz opera, "The Trojans";  no not
THOSE trojans, the one in the Iliad).  One remarkable
addition is an antenna on the side of the main structure well below the mast and abservation deck.
I surmise it's an auxiliary for one of the FM's on top, but
licensed to NJ because it faces west.  The CondeNast
building is still under construction it appears, but the
antenna structures on top seem to be completed, and it's
very impressive.  There are TV's and FM's galore...
one of these days I may go up to the ESB with
binoculars and check 4 TimesSq  more closely!

Laurence Glavin