WBOQ calls and "old format"...

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Tue Dec 23 07:24:17 EST 2003

On 12/22/03 12:04 PM, "Bob Nelson" <raccoonradio@yahoo.com> wrote:

 > Now that WBOQ has gone to a new format, I wonder:
>
> --Will some other station in town try the previous
> WBOQ format, trying to pick up that audience? I don't
> really listen to WPLM-FM, but is their sound right
> now similar to the standards WBOQ had in the past?
> And will they try to grab away the disillusioned
> WBOQ listeners?

No, the old (recent) WBOQ format was Jazz Standards, not
Adult Standards (40's/50's/60's pop). WPLM-FM plays very
few actual Jazz Standards like what WBOQ was playing.

The new WBOQ format actually sounds more similar to WPLM-FM
now than their old one. WPLM-FM now also plays a lot more
"soft oldies" of the 50's, 60's and 70's than actual Adult
(pop) Standards these days.

Many formats that were known as "Adult Standards", such as
WPLM-FM, are now gradually moving more toward 50's/60's/70's
"soft oldies". When the Christmas music is over, check out
the satellite services on WXKS-AM 1430 or WESX 1230 - WJDA
1300 and you'll hear what I mean.

Meanwhile, Bob Bittner is managing to carve out a niche for
WJIB 740 by adding a lot of the true Adult Standard pop
vocalists and crooners of the 40's/50's/60's that are being
dropped by mainstream "Adult Standards" stations nowadays.

Eli Polonsky