Maine's classical music radio network has been sold

Sean Smyth ssmyth@psu.edu
Sun Dec 14 21:57:40 EST 2003

Counselor Ross writes:
<< There was a story in the Globe just after WBOQ came on from its new
site about how
Tanger befriended Geller and gradually gained his confidence before
Geller finally agreed to
sell to him.  I have an aircheck in which Geller, on the air, says he's
sold to someone who
intends to keep the classical format, and says he hopes they will
actually do so.  >>

I looked up some stuff in our school's Lexis-Nexis database (which has
the Globe going back to '89, I believe). This great quote came from
Geller in a May 26, 1989, article talking about how Tanger coaxed
Geller, who relied on mostly donations to run the station, into selling.

Geller said:
<< "That's why I wanted cash when I sold it," he said. "I may have a
swelled head, but if I couldn't make a go of it, I doubted anyone else
would, so I figured I'd better get cash right away." >>

It was a neat overall article; the only thing is the Susan Bicklehaupt
monster struck when referring to the old call letters as "WCVA-FM."